Thursday, June 19, 2008

Baby Contest Results

I started on the Regency Dress for Sammi out of the material that I thought would be most "formal" for a costume. However, I must have altered the pattern as I was making the muslin because the "final" product turned out too small. I got this far on it and had Sammi try it on. I could barely hold the back together as she moved her arms. I thought it might be torture, for both of us, to try to make her wear it. I'm looking for some inspiration to finish this dress. I think it will be so cute, but I need a little girl to look adorable in it. All of my friends have little boys. If you know a little girl that would like this dress (or whose Mommy would like this dress) please leave a comment. I would be happy to see someone get to wear it!

In the end I hemmed the original dress like so.
It didn't turn out quite perfect, but it looked nice on her. I got the idea for the hemming from a maternity shirt I love to wear. It has the same detail around the cuffs and the mid-section.

Sammi was adorable at the contest. She smiled and talked to the judges. She even lay down on the table and started drawing circles, snakes and cherry-pickers for them! (Her cherry-pickers look like scribbles almost in a box shape. She loves her work vehicles!) In the end it was enough to win Third Place and get a nice little prize of some snacks that sustained her through the walk back to the car.

add to kirtsy

3 comments:

I feel a bit goofy commenting here 'cause you have no idea who I am, but I found your blog awhile ago when I was searching for baby onesie applique instructions (found your "ties" so cute!). Anyway, didn't know if this was open for anyone, but I have a friend with a little girl that would look adorable in that dress (alas, my daughter is 2 1/2 & too big)!

Congrats on the 3rd place! :-)

Amy-
Thanks for your comment! The dress is 18" around at the top of the rib cage. Let me know if that will be a good fit for your friend's daughter. also, I need to know a length measurement (from the top of the rib cage to however long she'd like it-it's meant to be a long dress, but we don't want her to trip!)
Also, I'd love to see a picture of her. Pictures really inspire me! There are some decorative features I've thought of so I'd like to see which ones would match her best.

Hope it works out!

Hey Amber, I emailed you back :-)

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home