Monday, May 5, 2008

Evening Star Quilt Squares

I was able to spend a lot of time this weekend on a recently revived project: a challenge quilt for the Utah State Fair. The theme this year is "Making Music" and the fat quarter fabric that all entrants receive is black musical notes on a white background. I had originally envisioned an elaborate scene depicting all the characters of my daughter's favorite songs; however, I was having a hard time getting myself to make that quilted wall hanging. So this weekend I toned down the design to contain just her favorite song: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

I found a cute quilt block combo in a book but the blocks are shown in the finished size. I have therefore spent the last three and a half days trying to get my pieces the right size so that the square will be the right size to sew into the complementary block. I started late Friday night and cut all my pieces out and then sewed on block together. Much to my disappointment it turned out to be a squished rectangle! I was so sad I could hardly sleep. I tossed and turned all night and finally had some kind of solution in the morning. I tried that but then the finished block was an inch too large! So, several attempts later, I finally have the right dimensions for all the pieces to get the size I need. Whew! Now I just hope I have enough material left.

The block is a traditional pattern called "evening star." When it is sewn into the quilt, I want a 3" square. So I need a 3 1/2" square to have a 1/4" seam allowance. I came up with the measurements of a 4 1/2" and a 3 1/2" square.

For a 4 1/2" Evening Star block:
In the main color, cut the number indicated for each block you wish to sew:

  • 2 1/2" square (x1)
  • 2" square cut in half on the diagonal to make two triangles (x4)
In the border color, cut the number indicated for each block you wish to sew:
  • 3 1/2" square, cut on the diagonal twice to make four triangles (x1)
  • 1 1/2" square (x4)
For a 3 1/2" Evening Star block:
In the main color, cut the number indicated for each block you wish to sew:
  • 2 1/4" square (x1)
  • 1 3/4" square cut in half on the diagonal to make two triangles (x4)
In the border color, cut the number indicated for each block you wish to sew:
  • 3" square, cut on the diagonal twice to make four triangles (x1)
  • 1 1/4" square (x4)
Instructions for piecing:
  1. Start with two triangles in the main color (MC) and one triangle in the border color (BC). Sew one MC triangle on each side of the BC triangle. Press seams flat. You will now have a rectangle. Repeat for all BC triangle pieces (Total is 4 rectangles.)
  2. Take one rectangle and 2 BC squares. Sew one square on each end of the rectangle. Repeat for one more rectangle. Press seams flat.
  3. Remaining two rectangles: Sew one rectangle to the MC square. Align so that the MC triangles are along the MC square and the points of the triangle point away from the square. Sew the other rectangle on the side opposite of the first rectangle piece. Press seams flat.
  4. Sew rectangle piece from step 2 along the top edge of the MC square. Repeat for second rectangle. Press seams flat.
  5. Your Evening Star block is now finished! It should measure 4 1/2" or 3 1/2" depending on which measurements you followed. Now when it is sewn into your project, it will be either 4" or 3" finished.
I apologize for the pictures (and lack thereof) today. My camera is malfunctioning today (I think it sustained a serious injury over the weekend at the hands of my daughter--ouch!) Hopefully I will be able to fix it and add images to this tutorial and create a pdf file of the pattern for downloading.

add to kirtsy

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home